This is what I had for breakfast this morning. Chocolate-chocolate muffins with a cherry jam filling.
Here’s how I made it
3/4 stick of butter (3/4th of an Amul butter slab)
1 slab, 100g of Ghirardelli chocolate (I got lucky, you can use any chocolate you have at hand)
2 cups plain flour
2/3 cup sugar1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted (i was out of cocoa powder so I added the same amount of flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt (i left this out as i used salted butter)
1¼ cups buttermilk (i used a combination of milk and yogurt)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Cherry preserve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter a muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
2. Melt the butter and half of the chocolate together in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (I did this in the microwave).
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract together until well combined.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients, as well as the melted butter-chocolate mix, over the dry ingredients and with the whisk, or a spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – a few lumps are better than overmixing the batter.
5. Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate. I also added some chocolate chips I had at hand.
6. Fill the muffin cups half of the way with the batter. Spoon in some cherry extract and top it up with some more batter.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from the pan.
Makes 16 muffins.
Adapted from Baking from my home to yours – Dorie Greenspan
The cherry jam adds a wonderful twist the chocolaty muffin. I had them both warm and cold and I prefer them warm. Next time, I’d probably crank up the chopped chocolate to be added in the end. In all, the recipe is a total keeper.
You can read about my experiments with food here